Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Speed Limits

The speed limit on two lane highways in Iowa is 55 miles per hour. Not 65 like South Dakota or 60 in some other states. However, 60-65 mph has become the norm in Iowa, due to a lot of roads and "lax" enforcement of the speed limit.

I normally drive 60-62 on most rural roads. That's a nice comfortable speed. With proper planning I avoid most small towns and can average an actual speed of between 50 and 55 miles per hour and a fuel mileage around 24 mpg with a four wheel drive pickup.

But, lately traffic has been in ultra high speed mode. People are driving 65-70. They pull up behind and follow as close as possible and pass in the stupidest places. Passing while coming into a small town with children playing is DUMB. Passing going up hill and on curves.

If you wish to kill yourself, that's entirely up to you. But those children don't want to be involved and neither do I.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful if you ever come to Montana, Cap'n Crab. The speed limit on 2 lane roads here is 70!

And Montana drivers like to "take their half out the middle"!

Idea #527 said...

I agree!!

My Dad taught me at an early age what people can do if you tailgate. He put some kid in the ditch one time by slamming on his breaks. And then didn't stop to help him.

Captain Crab said...

I think Montana is a lot like the Dakotas; wide smooth roads with not a lot of traffic in the rural areas.

527: That doesn't surprise one bit! I have known your Dad too long.

Kraneia said...

I have a problem with most folks around here. You see, I drive a Kia Rio5. Which is a small car. Folks see that small car and think, "I bet I can bully that small car off the road." WRONG. I slow down--If you back off, I might speed up. If you don't, you can continue behind me at 10 miles under the speed limit, or go around me (at which point I speed up again. Just to piss them off)
Fun fun fun.

Scratch