Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I Used to Enjoy Politics

While eating cheese, drinking beer and checking out the news of the day, I ran across a few interesting statements by the Rev Mike Huckabee, the new Republican front runner in Iowa.

If you are a serious Christian Conservative, you probably won't understand why this concerns me (Go to FOX News instead, but thanks for dropping by!).

Here we go:
__________________________________________________________

In November, Huckabee tried to claim the mantle of the GOP's leading terror fighter, arguing:

"I think I'm stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamo fascism. These are people that want to kill us. It's a theocratic war. And I don't know if anybody fully understands that. I'm the only guy on that stage with a theology degree."

Ten years ago Huckabee seemed to seemed to claim insight into Christ's likely support for capital punishment:

"Interestingly enough, if there was ever an occasion for someone to have argued against the death penalty, I think Jesus could have done so on the cross and said, 'This is an unjust punishment and I deserve clemency.'"

At a Republican Governors Association Dinner in 2004, Huckabee took the stage and began to deliver remarks when his cell phone rang. He took the phone out of his pocket and proceeded to have a conversation with God about President Bush’s reelection:

"We're behind [Bush], yes, sir, we sure are. Yes, sir, we know you don't take sides in the election. But, if you did, we kind of think you'd hang in there with us, Lord, we really do."
__________________________________________________________

So there is a little bit of The Reverend Huckabee. Scares the bejesus out of me!

No comments: